Saturday, January 31, 2009

Grocery day!

Today was grocery day. I hate going to Meijer’s on Saturdays. HATE IT! I cannot stress enough how horrible that place on the weekend. Is it the store itself? No, it’s the massive amount of meandering people in the store. Wednesdays during the day are also a horrible time to go to Meijer’s because it must be senior citizen’s day. I think they load them up by the bus load and drop them off because it’s always full of really old people (you know the old people that can’t really walk any more) wondering around and bitching about the price of peanut butter. (In my day a jar of peanut butter was only 10 cents) That’s wonderful grandpa but I really only have an hour before I have to be back to work.

Alas, I digress.

We pull in to the Meijer’s and I’m already cursing in the car about how busy the parking lot is, if the parking lot is backed up to the snow banks that means the inside is even more jam packed with people.

As we made our way to pick up our nutrients for the next few weeks (and maybe some cleaning products) I was bombarded with people who couldn’t drive their carts, or were not aware of anything around them. I was almost taken out by a can of Dinty Moore by some guy in a brown leather bomber jacket with a hair cut from 1982 as he swung wildly around to his cart after finding the .99 cent special on Dinty Moore stews. A young couple decided to stop their cart in the middle of on aisle and argue about the dishwasher soap. Maybe if you drove a yugo you could have gotten around them, but not with a cart full of food items. My husband even tried to be polite and say “excuse me” to which the man of the couple looked at him and shrugged.

That would not be appropriate response, a correct response would be to move your dispute about which cleaning brand you wish to use to the side so other people from either direction could pass. A lady on the other side of them was equally as annoyed, and I almost took them out with my cart. I should have. I bet they drive a mini-van and are planning on producing a gaggle of dim-witted babies.

My problem is I like Meijer the best out of all the grocery stores, so even if I have to deal with mass stupidity I still go back, because I know it’s not the store, just some of the patrons.

Also, I need to remember to only go to the store on Wednesday or Thursday nights. Thursday nights are the best. It’s when they are the most empty.

0 comments: