Friday, June 19, 2009

Game Fuel...WTF.

Mountain Dew...er I mean MTN Dew is the go to drink for nerds and gamers alike.

Why is this...I do not know. Why do huge nerds need to have massive amounts of sugar and caffeine? Do D&D sessions really last three days where you must be alert to roll your dice and say "magic missiles" or "Lighting Bolt?"

...And really... should people who sit at their computers doing nothing but clicking a mouse need such calories? Maybe they should stick to water and celery, because they are not burning enough calories to warrant such high calorie and sweet drinks.

However, that's not the case.

Pepsi, the owners of Mountain Dew, figured out this anomaly and decided to market to gamers....yes gamers. You know the ones, the weird ones at work, that most likely still live in their parents basement and are pasty white. Most likely a ginger because they can't go outside since they fry like bacon in the sun.

They probably work in your tech department or are software engineers. Yeah, you know the ones. The one you run in to in Meijers at 1:30 a.m. buying...you guessed it MTN Dew and...binders. Don't ask what the binders are for you don't really want to know.

Pepsi, last summer had the "gamer" edition of MTN Dew. It was Halo Mountain Dew (at that point it was still "Mountain Dew and not MTN Dew). I tried it. It was alright. Actually I think it was just "Mountain Dew Code Red" with a new Halo-esq name.

This year they are targeting the World of Warcraft players...AKA WoW, or WOW or for those really lazy, wow. They have two kinds of MTN Dew, Horde flavor and Alliance Flavor.

-Woha Stop- Have to do some nerd jargon speak. There are two main "teams" in WoW. You guessed it Horde and Alliance. They fight each other. Get in to more of that later.

If you haven't guessed it, I do play WoW. I'm even part ginger (my mom's a true red-head), but alas, I do not live in my parents basement...any more. Okay, I never lived in my parents basement but that's where the computer was so it's almost the same thing.

The WoW MTN Dew, isn't just a new flavor, no...this one includes a game, where you can enter in points and win items, and your team can "win" daily. Yeah, that's the horde v. alliance teams.

I saw something when I logged in to WoW about a week ago, something on the news page about "get your battle bot now!" "Eh...whatever" I thought. It's like that stupid earn an awesome pet. (A pet in game is just some random small animal that follows you around, and does nothing other then add extra pixels on screen)

Then as I was at Meijers...picking up some Mountain Dew, the old school stuff, Throwback flavor 'cause it's teh awesome. As I'm looking up from reaching way way back on the shelf to find the glorious Throwback Mountain Dew my eyes meet...an orc.

WTF...

Now my interest is peaked. An Orc on a MTN Dew box. I read it, again went WTF. Laughed, in Meijer, people looked at me funny. I went on my merry way. I went home, logged on, checked out the news post for real this time and ended up sighing up on the MTN Dew site.

You know I soooooo signed up for the horde side. Even made the banner...

Mountain Dew Game Fuel Horde Banner

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Ok, so I haven't been to your blog in forever and I am quite enjoying myself! This post was rather informative, intriguing and frickin hilarious (the ginger parts). :)

Theresa said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I do have some good moments sometimes.